- Fuel Cell Cars
- Fuel Cell Stacks
Fuel Cell Testing
- - Fixed Testing Systems
- - Liquid and Gas Delivery Systems
- - Fuel Cell Testing Hardware
- - Modular Testing Systems
- - Vacuum Tables and Temperature Controllers
- - Electronic Measurement and Control
- - Stack Humidification Systems
- - Ion Exchange Filters
- - Fuel Cell Testing Components
- - Portable Generators
- - Electrochemical Experiments
- Fuel Cell Components
- Hydrogen Equipment
- Power Devices
- Solar Power
- Hydro Power
- Wind Power
- Bioenergy Power
- Lab Accessories
- STEM Education
The Clean Energy Trainer is a hands-on hybrid renewable energy kit for introductory understanding of renewable energy technology and hybrid energy systems (micro-grids). Students will get hands-on to build a micro-grid and study many aspects of solar and wind energy, energy conversion, energy storage through electrolysis/hydrogen, fuel cells and hybrid renewable energy system design and energy management.
The Clean Energy Trainer is very unique in its approach to learning about renewable energy technology because the focus is on understanding how a hybrid renewable energy systems works and the relationship between the various technology. Students will learn basic dimensioning and energy storage of intermittent and variable energy sources.
The system is dual-purpose, as students can still perform all the individual basic experiments with the solar, wind, hydrogen and fuel cell components…BUT…it is the interaction of all the technology together and the connection to our LabVIEW based data analysis and simulation software that makes this system powerful. The Clean Energy Trainer is set-up (dimensioned) and operated manually with options for simulation of weather conditions and energy usage (loads). The software allows system control, data acquisition of each component, and graphing (manual and automatic) of component characteristics curves (I/V Curves).
• Solar and Wind Training
• Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Training
• Energy Storage and Conversion
• Introduction to Micro-grids and Hybrid Energy Systems
• The cause and effect of energy inputs and energy usage (loads)
• Dimensioning of a hybrid energy system
• Introduction to Topics of Energy Management and System Management
• Load and Weather Simulations
The CET includes: wind generator, solar panel, electrolyser, gas storage cylinders, 5-cell PEM fuel cell stack, load, and USB data monitor. All required cables, tubes and clamps included, as well as a photometer and anemometer. Lamp sold separately and fan should be purchased locally.
University, College, Vocational, and High School
- Mechanical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Energy Engineering
- Electrical Power
- Technology (STEM)
- Courses and general sustainability and renewable energy related courses
- Often used by Colleges and University for Outreach
- Often Bundled with the Professional or HyDrive
For Clean Energy Trainer experiment examples please see the Fuel Cell Trainer Experiment Guide link located in the Downloads (PDF) tab.
*** Does not include lamp or fan.
***NOTE: While most often used in higher education institutes, this system can be used at the high school level. For use in senior level high school programs such as AP Chemistry/Physics, Technology and STEM programs.
Typical lead time of two to four weeks to be expected.
The gas holder is used for the intermediate storage of the produced hydrogen and oxygen. A scale on the holder facilitates the measurement of the produced and used hydrogen.
• Dimensions (W x H x D): 2.2" x 3.5" x 1.6" (55 x 90 x 40 mm)
• Weight: 1.7 oz (48 g)
• Volume: 30 cm³
2x Electrolyzer Cell 5
The electrolyzer generates hydrogen from electrical energy. It is operated with distilled water and requires no caustic solutions or acids.
• Dimensions (W x H x D): 1.6" x 2" x 2.2" (40 x 50 x 57 mm)
• Weight: 1.9 oz (54 g)
• Power: 1.16 W
• Hydrogen Production: 5 cm³ / min
• Oxygen Production: 2.5 cm³ / min
The 5-cell fuel cell stack generates electrical energy from hydrogen and oxygen. For conducting different experiments the stack can be varied regarding the number of cells (1 to 5 cells).
• Dimensions (W x H x D): 4.7" x 2.4" x 2.6" (120 x 60 x 70 mm)
• Weight: 10.1 oz (288 g)
• Power Per Cell: 0.2 W
• Total Power (5 Cells): 1 W
2x Solar Module
The 4-cell solar module generates electrical energy from solar power. The electrolyzer as well as different loads can be supplied directly from the solar module. The practical base enables the alignment towards a light source in three different positions.
• Dimensions (W x H x D): 3.7" x 5.3" x 1.2" (95 x 135 x 30 mm)
• Weight: 3.2 oz (90 g)
• Power: 400 mW
• Voltage Max: 2.0 V
• Current Max: 0.6 A
The wind generator generates electrical energy from wind power. The electrolyzer and loads can be supplied directly from the wind generator. The angle and the number of rotor blades can be varied.
• Dimensions (W x H x D): 16.5" x 26.4" x 7.1" (420 x 670 x 180 mm)
• Rotor (Ø): 16.5" (420 mm)
• Weight: 3.5 pounds (1.6 kg)
• Power: 0.55 W
• Voltage Max: 6 V
• Current Max: 0.3 A
*Values may differ in accordance with performance of fan.
The USB Data Monitor is used for data acquisition and processing of all components. A USB interface enables the connection to the software. The electronic load as well as the integrated voltage supply can be controlled via the software.
• Dimensions (W x H x D): 6.3" x 1.6" x 3.9" (160 x 40 x 100 mm)
• Weight: 3.1 pounds (1.4 kg)
• Fuel Cell Mode:
• Power Max: 10 W
• Current: 0 - 5 A
• Voltage: 0 - 10 V DC
• Electrolyzer Mode:
• Power Max: 10 W
• Voltage: 0 - 4 V DC
• Current: 0 - 3 A
• Power Supply Unit: 6.0 V DC / 3.3 A
The photometer (luxmeter) extends the possibilities with experiments regarding solar energy and is used for measuring the light intensity.
• Dimensions (W x H x D): 2.5" x 7.4" x 1" (64.5 x 188 x 24.5 mm)
• Accuracy: ± 5%
• Measuring Range: 0.01 - 50000 lux
The practical anemometer extends the possibilities with experiments regarding wind power and is used for the measurement of wind speed.
• Dimensions (W x H x D): 1.5" x 3.9" x 0.7" (39 x 98 x 17 mm)
• Accuracy: ± 5%
• Measuring Range: 0.2 - 30 m/s
Load Simulator (House)
The load simulates an electric consumer. Two integrated lamps enable experiments with different loads.
• Dimensions (W x H x D): 2.8" x 2.2" x 0.5" (70 x 55 x 12 mm)
• Illuminant: Quantity of Two at 6 W
The included learning and experimentation software allows the investigation of functions and impacts of the individual components. Every component can be examined in detail including the measurement and visualization of operating parameters in tables and graphs. Characteristic curves can be generated manually or fully automatic. Furthermore different weather and load profiles can be selected which simulate loads in three stages. The user gets a load profile as a basis for adapting the energy generation and storage components into a complete renewable energy system fulfilling the requirements of the selected profiles.
• Simulation of load and source profiles
• Visualization of operating parameters in tables and graphs
• Manual and fully automatic generation of characteristic curves
• Visualize data in tables and graphs
• Investigate renewable energy chains as source or load simulator
• Simulate weather and load profiles
Instruction Manual and Experiment Guide
• 13 photocopiable experiments including:
• Experiment setup
• Worksheet for students
• Teacher answer sheet
• CD-ROM with experiment sheets
• Experiments for groups and individuals
• Interesting and Educational Experiments
Storage Box and Other Accessories
Fit all the Fuel Cell Trainer included components in a stackable storage box.
• Dimensions (W x H x D): 18.5" x 6.2" x 16.7" (469 x 157 x 425 mm)
• Weight (when components are inside): 11 pounds (5 kg)
• Other Accessories Included:
• Wind Speed Meter
• Global Radiation Sensor
• Ferromagnetic Plate
• Stop Watch
Write a review
Your Review: Note: HTML is not translated!
Rating: Bad Good
Enter the code in the box below: